Monday, November 17, 2008

The good, the bad, and the ugly


My weekend in a nutshell...........

The Good- So, I decided it was time to straighten the linen closet (what a fun and exciting life I lead!) since I could never find a matching set of anything. I got everything separated and organized but somehow I was missing about six sets of pillowcases. I have four pillows on my bed (two standard and two king) so everytime I buy a new set of sheets, I have to buy an extra set that matches so that I end up with enough. I must have forgotten to get enough sets at one point. If you know me well enough, you already know that not having the whole pillowcase situation under control is going to be driving me crazy. I figured that if I was completely lucky, I might be able to find some at Marshalls or TJ Maxx for under $20 a set.... big emphasis on the "lucky" part. I like nice things so even though I am "frugal" (most of the time), I was not going to just run on over to Target and buy the first thing I saw. I wanted the good stuff at a good price. Later on that day, I wandered into a Tuesday Morning (the mecca of overpriced sheets and linens) and I stumbled onto a whole display of high thread count (600 count!) pillowcases in every color of the rainbow for $4.99 a set! Score!!!!!! How lucky is this?

The Bad- I have been needing some new workout pants and I had finally found some online at Old Navy and the price was definitely right. $5.99!!!!!!!!!! I am usually not too keen on Old Navy but I had bought a pair of these pants before and the quality and fit was not too bad so I did not hesitate to buy a few pair.... OK, I bought 15 of them... the price was right... so sue me. About 6 hours after I place the order, I get a coupon for 30% off all Old Navy purchases. Crap!!!!

The Ugly- A couple of months ago, I broke down and bought some of those recycled shopping bags to bring into the grocery store so that I could cut back on using plastic bags. I had always thought that the whole idea was kinda stupid and I always questioned the people who lugged them into the store to shop with but I must say that I have enjoyed using them. They are easier to carry, hold more stuff, and are helping the environment. The only trick is to actually remember to bring them into the store. I ended up buying about 15 bags from a particular store that I shall call "Store X." Now, if you are a snob, you probably do not like "Store X" but I really don't care... the bags were sturdy and 50 cents less than those sold elsewhere. So, since I was nowhere near a "Store X" on Sunday, I marched into "Store Y" with my trusty "Store X" bags not thinking a thing about it. When I got to the checkout lane, the assistant manager, yes the assistant manager, came waltzing over and made a rude comment about how I had dared to bring a "Store X" bag into his store. WTF??? He was joking of course but it was in a semi -condescending way. Am I supposed to buy a different set of bags for each store that I am shopping in? Not going to happen people! I pretty much told him that he should be happy that I had chosen to shop there and to shut the hell up. What a jerk!!

No comments: