Saturday, October 2, 2010

Them

I stopped in Hobby Lobby tonight to pick up a few extra touches for my Halloween decor when I overheard an interesting conversation. I was looking at some Halloween themed cupcake liners when this child (who looked to be 8 or 9), her mother, and I am guessing her grandmother stopped near me to admire some Halloween tchotchkes. The little girl told her mother that they were not allowed to bring Halloween treats to school or say "Trick or Treat"
or else they would be sent to the Principal's office. What the fucking fuck????????? The grandmother gave the child a horrified look and the mother kind of just stood there a minute with this disgusted look on her face and said "I have no further comment on their policy towards Halloween (apparently, judging by the look on her face, she had probably already had plenty to say about this already) but I am giving you permission to tell your teachers and your principal that we do not say "Happy Holidays" at Christmas time. We celebrate Christmas and by God you will wish people "Merry Christmas" and not "Happy Holidays. You are not being raised to become one of "THEM." You are to stand up for what is right and not be afraid of offending anybody." I wanted to start clapping and cheer her on but I settled for walking up to her and telling her how refreshing it was to hear what she had just said. I definitely do not want to be one of "THEM" either. I hate hearing "Happy Holidays" as well. Say Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Happy Kwanzaa or Merry Whateverthefuckitisyoucelebrate!!!!!! Just stand up for what you believe in and stand proud. As for this whole Halloween business that the little girl was talking about? Just one more reason why any child of mine would not set foot in the public school system.