Friday, April 23, 2010

This would be my cue to leave.......

It always amazes me to see people driving towards a tornado when it is so obviously right in front of them. In this video, watch the cars headed towards the tornado and then all of the sudden, they put on their brakes like "Maybe I should not be going in the direction that I am currently headed in". My first impulse is to get the hell out of dodge.... stat! I got involved in the edge of a tornado near Hillsboro, TX about 12 years ago while driving down I-35 in a blinding rainstorm and let me tell you... sheer terror!! The problem was that it was so dark outside we could not see it coming at us. I was lucky to have come out of it alive. My mom was driving us back to San Antonio from a horse show and I was sitting in the passenger seat holding my little dog. We were out in the middle of nowhere and it was dark and raining so hard that you could not see five feet in front of you. Luckily we were going pretty slow at the time because all of the sudden, the car came to a complete stop (sending my little dog into the dashboard of the car) and the tornado spun us around several times and pushed us over to the edge of the interstate. The sounds from the wind were deafening and debris/hail was pounding the car but oddly it was all over in a flash. Luckily nobody was hurt (including the dog) and we were able to get turned around and back on the road. As we went further down I-35, you could see the path that the tornado had taken. There was destruction everywhere...twisted light posts, bent highway signs, snapped trees. Not something I would like to experience again.

No comments: