Some of the things that I have discovered that I have missed about this place are:
- The silence (except for the kids across the street with their super loud exhaust pipes on their trucks...the one kid got his off of a cement truck. They are huge!!!!)
- The way it gets so dark at night.
- Seeing owls flying around in the moonlight.
- The stars, the moon, and the smell of fresh air. If you have never thrown a blanket into the bed of a pickup truck and just looked up into the night sky then you are missing out.
- The way people you don't even know, wave at you when you drive by.
- The sound of birds, frogs, and cicadas.
- Being able to walk around outside in whatever you want (pajamas!!) and nobody cares.... because they can't see you (well, for the most part anyways. I know for a fact that several of my neighbors have binoculars and use them on a regular basis to see what is going on.)
- Seeing my little dogs run around in wide open spaces without having to worry about them. I also love just being able to open the door and they can go outside on their own. Austin has some great dog parks but it is still a hassle to take them on every little outing.
Things I have not missed include:
- The mosquitoes
- Spiders and other annoying bugs. There is a serious spider problem here that no pesticide in the world can fix. We are talking huge, scary, in your face spiders. When my parents first moved in, I was surprised at all the spider webs in the eaves and in between the windows. I quickly learned that no matter what you sprayed or how often you clean... the come back with a vengeance just a couple days later.
- The tendency for the front yard to be under water after a heavy rain. This is the price you pay for the beauty of the humongous 100 year old pecan trees in the yard. They grow here because this area had to have been under water at some point.
- You can't just make a "quick trip" anywhere. Anything is going to take you at least 20 minutes.
- Neighbors who seem to know all of your business...how they know everything about what is going on in your life I will never know.